It's been a busy Spring and early Summer. In the past few months there have been some ground-up new construction design projects in Charlotte and Cary, a couple of renovations in Concord and a couple on Lake Norman.
The ADU project continues to be front and center. Despite being one of the smallest project in terms of square feet, there is a lot involved with both design considerations and delays with starting construction. Since there is a very fixed budget on this project we want to ensure we don't have to make design changes once we've got our approvals and permits.
We did receive a preliminary approval from the Historic District, with a couple of minor tweaks and things to clarify for them. However, by the time we had the design completed the building season was well underway and very busy, so getting all of our estimates in a timely manner has been difficult to say the least. To add to that, because of the Historic District requirements our cost for siding is eating up a huge chunk of the construction budget.
Thankfully the Historic District Commission seems to be recognizing the constraints this is causing and are considering some alternatives at their next meeting in a couple weeks. Hopefully this works out for the better not only for us, but for those after us wanting to build or renovate in one of the Historic Districts. And I must say that my contact at the Historic District continues to be super friendly and helpful.
Each project has been presented it's own unique opportunities and challenges, and each has continued to reinforce my core belief that the traditional method for designing and building homes is inefficient and outdated. Look for more from me regarding that in this space in the coming weeks. :-)